When it comes to keeping our pets safe, one of the most overlooked dangers is our everyday household products. Many of these items can be poisonous for cats and dogs, and even if it’s not meant for them, they often find their way into a pet’s system.

As pet owners, we need to remain constantly aware that danger might lurk anywhere near us –and work toward protecting our loved ones against the unseen peril posed by everyday household products.

Cleaning Solutions

The first item to watch out for is cleaning solutions such as bleach or other household cleaners. Pets may try to taste these products, especially if an area has recently been cleaned. This can cause severe harm and even death in some cases.

Candles and Fresheners

Pets have an incredible sense of smell. So another thing to watch out for is scented candles and room fresheners, as many contain toxins that are harmful to pets when inhaled. It’s essential to have a sound ventilation system if you burn candles or use air fresheners to keep your pet safe from any potentially harmful fumes. Be sure to read the labels on all products before bringing them into your home, and keep these items away from your pet’s reach.

Pest Control Products

Pest control products should also be removed from curious tongues and claws. These items come in all forms—from aerosol sprays to bait stations—but all should be kept from animals regardless of their condition.


Even seemingly harmless things like mothballs have been proven dangerous when ingested by animals, as they can cause pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. So keep any items containing naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene away from pets at all times.


Finally, medication advice: Keep all medicines sealed and stored on high shelves where animals can’t access them accidentally or intentionally. Ingestion of human medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) can prove fatal for cats and dogs alike.

Food Items

Certain foods are harmful to pets and should be kept out of reach from them or picked up and discarded immediately if they fall on the floor. These include chocolate, grapes, onions, and garlic. Contact your veterinarian if your pet has ingested any of these items.

Why Choose Royal Pets

If you ever have any concerns regarding the safety of a product, it’s best to contact your veterinarian for advice. You can keep your pet safe from potential dangers and toxins with some care and caution.

At Royal Pets, our full-service, state-of-the-art veterinary center offers superb services for all your pet’s day-to-day needs, such as complete wellness exams, vaccinations, microchipping, and heartworm testing. We are also here for all your emergency needs; our highly trained medical team is ready to care for your pets in emergencies by providing advanced diagnostics and surgery. So contact us today – we are here to keep your pets safe, happy, and healthy!

Visit Us

Our goal is for you to leave our office with a memorable and enjoyable experience, which is why our welcoming and compassionate staff will do everything they can to make you feel right at home.

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content