It’s a nightmare to realize your beloved pet has been poisoned. It can be scary and confusing, but acting quickly is essential if your pet needs help. Here are some steps you should take to ensure the best possible outcome for your pet:

Step 1: Identify the Type of Poisoning

The first step when dealing with potential poisoning in your pet is to identify what type of poisonous substance they may have come into contact with. If you know what type of poison it is, such as from a label or a package, you can look up more detailed information on how to handle the situation accordingly. However, if it’s an unknown substance, or something ingested accidentally, like spoiled food or plant material, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Contact Your Veterinarian Immediately

No matter what type of poison your pet has gotten into, it’s essential that you contact a veterinarian ASAP. The vet can provide advice on how best to proceed with treatment and can even dispense some medications over the phone if needed. Additionally, they may be able to advise on any symptoms that may arise throughout treating the poisoning to monitor closely and deal with any complications promptly.

Step 3: Monitor Your Pet Closely and Look Out for Symptoms

In addition to calling a veterinarian right away, you should also closely monitor your pet after exposure to poison. Depending on the type of poison they ingest, their symptoms might include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing, among many others. Call your vet immediately if these occur so they can assess whether further treatment is necessary.

Step 4: Decontaminate Your Pet and Bring Them for Immediate Treatment

If you know exactly where and when your pet was exposed to the poison, then decontamination may be necessary before bringing them for emergency care at the vet clinic. This may involve shampooing off topical poisons from their fur or washing their fur/skin with water (not soap) if liquids were ingested by mistake. Do not attempt this yourself unless directed by a medical professional! Better safe than sorry!

Step 5: Seek Medical Care Right Away

The most important thing you need to do when your pet has been exposed to any poison is to seek medical attention immediately! Time is critical as certain toxins can be fatal within minutes, so don’t delay getting help – even if all appears normal initially, internal damage could still occur, which only a professional can adequately assess and treat accordingly.

Step 6: Choose Royal Pets Urgent Care

At Royal Pets Urgent Care Veterinary Center, located in Midtown, Tampa, our Urgent Care professionals are here to provide the comprehensive medical care and compassion your pet needs and deserves. Our team will work one-on-one with you to develop the appropriate treatment plans and put your pet on the path to recovery. We can provide same-day medical service to meet your pet’s urgent care needs and have them feeling better quickly. If your pet has been poisoned, contact us immediately. A little prompt attention could save a lot of heartaches later!

Visit Us

Our goal is for you to leave our office with a memorable and enjoyable experience, which is why our welcoming and compassionate staff will do everything they can to make you feel right at home.

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content